Trailer Checks

Share on Facebook

Inspect Your Horse Trailer…….are your balls the right size???

As you get closer and closer to trailering your horses out to rides, whether that is with CSC or on your own, you should make sure that your trailer is up to snuff for the coming year. I know I sometimes think, well it was fine in the fall, but that is not good enough. It is not a bad time to get your trailer and truck certified to make sure it can pass a safety. If we don’t get it certified at this point here are the things you should all be doing.

Ontario Licencing:
Motorhome (up to 11,000 kg), trailer up to 4,600 kg (11,000 kg combined) = class G
Fifth-wheel house trailer over 4,600 kg  truck GVWR under 6,000 kg = class G
Motorhome over 11,000 kg = class D
All others = class A
Truck over 6,000 kg GVWR = CVOR

In Ontario, a class G licence allows you to tow up to 4,600 kg. It also lets you have a combined weight (your truck plus your trailer) of up to 11,000 kg. To tow more than 4,600 kg, you’ll need to upgrade to a class A licence.

There is an exception to that for towing house trailers. You can tow a house trailer (or travel trailer) heavier than 4,600 kg using a class G licence if you meet all of these conditions: your truck weighs less than 11,000 kg, has a GVWR of less than 6,000 kg, has a stock-appearing box (no flatbeds), and uses a fifth-wheel hookup.

But it gets more complicated. Technically, Ontario considers all pickups to be commercial motor vehicles. So if you’re towing, then you might need more than just a higher licence. If your trailer and truck together weigh more than 4,500 kg, then your truck and trailer need an annual inspection. A livestock trailer with living accommodations is not a house trailer.

If your truck’s GVWR is over 6,000 kg (and many heavy duty trucks are) then you need an annual inspection if you tow or not.

If your truck’s registered weight (on the vehicle registration paper) is over 4,500 kg, you need an annual inspection.

A truck over 6,000 kg GVWR towing a trailer will need commercial vehicle operators registration and the driver will need a Class A licence. That means that you need to have a medical, do daily inspections, and follow hours of service rules.

However, a vehicle with a 6,000 kg GVWR that is towing a trailer will be exempt from the daily inspection and hours of service auditing requirements if used for solely private use. You will still need an annual inspection and a Class A licence (which requires a medical) to operate your truck/trailer combination, but won’t need to keep a log book or perform trip inspections.

Motorhomes under 11,000 kg are fine with a class G licence, but over that needs a class D. All of the trailer towing rules still apply if you have a trailer.

•Check the trailer floor. Lift the mats and whether it is boards or aluminium make sure it is solid.
•Make sure you are hitched up correctly, locked and that the safety chains are on. Make sure you are using the correct size BALL for the trailer you are pulling. The rating of a hitch and each of its components must be equal to or greater than the loaded weight of the trailer it’s pulling.
Bumper Pullcurt-durable-carbide-powder-coat-fixed-gooseneck-plate-3Gooseneck
•Check the lights. You should do that every time you hook up.
•Check the tires for cracks or bulges and check the air pressure including the spare.
•Check your brakes and brake controller to make sure they work.
•Make sure you have a jack and lug wrench to change your tires or barring that you have some roadside assistance package. Get yourself a Trailer Aid!
•Finally, carry a first aid kit for you and your horse.
Safe travelling to all CSC members and your horses!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Share on Facebook